[Owasp-leaders] The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change

Larry Conklin larry.conklin at owasp.org
Sun May 8 20:18:04 UTC 2016

Johanna,  I think this is a may be a fair statement "*Being someone who has
looked closely most projects code and development process, I can tell with
confidence , most, including those labeled as flagship , won't be able to
comply with these norms*" but I am not as familiar with all the projects as
you are.

But I think we have to step back a little a review.

This process is for the badge part is a self assessment. That said all
developers in SourceForge, etc would never over state their own projects.
lol But I think is is a great idea and OWASP is moving down the same path.

Our process that we are developing is a mix of self assessment and peer
review. More emphasis with peer review will be placed on Flagship projects
and not just self assessment. Also another major difference is we are also
trying to accomplish something different then what CII is trying to
accomplish and more inline with Apache open source. That is corralling in
the Wild Wild West and having projects have some of the same rigor that
Chapters have today. Like all projects have two leaders. Besides the self
assessment and peer review we are also looking at what we can automate to
help us.

But I will be honest I think something keeps getting left out of the
discussion; Making OWASP a great place for security code projects. We are
well on our way rock and rolling with conferences, chapters, web, cheat
sheets, documentation. Now we need to rock and roll with Zap and other
projects making OWASP to place to be for secure coding projects helping
with application security. I would like to see more discussion on this.

I have reviewed the badge process. A lot of it is now covered in our
assessment model. So that is a great thing and I thank you for bringing
this process into the discussion. It is important.

Larry