[Owasp-leaders] Section 508 compliance VPAT template

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at owasp.org
Thu May 5 01:42:32 UTC 2016

Simon

I found this online. I suppose it depends if Zap is accessible to an onscreen reader and has plenty of accessibility options, such as obeying font size and color choices that the user has set in the OS, and understanding it’s not just about working for the fully blind, but also folks who have fine motor disablement - so no tiny buttons with a 8x8 pixel click hot spot, and so on and on.

https://accessibility.oit.ncsu.edu/training/accessibility-handbook/vpat.html

Section 1194.21 Software Applications and Operating System

It seems that filling it out honestly is the best approach.

Let’s just say that I don’t think this is a huge impediment as long as you set out plans to increase Zap’s accessibility. As I have sight issues, I have Android set to use larger fonts, and yet so many apps just ignore it or do such a poor job of handling my size choice. And yet I see Android used widely despite its terrible accessibility.

Maybe when filling out the Word document relating to section 1194.21, create a few relevant issues in GitHub to make at the very least Zap’s primary functionality more accessible, and work with accessibility aids on Windows and Mac. I am not aware of any mainstream accessibility aids for Linux, but beyond setting Terminal to huge fonts, I don’t look for them.

thanks,
Andrew