[Owasp-leaders] 2016 Developer Survey Results

Tom Brennan - OWASP tomb at owasp.org
Wed Mar 23 16:24:49 UTC 2016

There's always going to be difference of opinion on how to best approach
the problem awareness.  (aka marketing)

There is no single right answer in the strategy which is to be determined
should focus on several different avenues to move the ball forward.  As a
member of the board I am pleased to see activity in these areas to drive
metrics and educated decisions for recommended investments.  Like you as a
paid member I'm also *very interested* in what the foundation spends money
on as it *should serve the membership (Builders of Sofware/Breakers of
Software /Defenders of Software) interests* proportionally.

Note those interests can only be determined with things like discussion
email threads and and surveys so *thumbs up to staff* for starting the
discussion and with only (25) random people answering a survey that seems a
bit small sampling in a community that we claim is 45,000 or even on the
leaders list that has over 1200 emails subscribed to it currently per Paul.

FWIW The board approved $995,000 for expenditures in 2016 see:
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Strategic_Goals
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Strategic_Goals>the implementation
of that strategy and plan(s) are ultimately the decision now of the staff
with input from the community.   I call this out to simply state the
following creative feedback is helpful *destructive feedback is not.*

Want to invest your volunteer cycles into a Strategic doing? SIMPLE:
 Create the committee, ask for others to join to work on it and then it
becomes the group of volunteers that actually set the agenda and drive it
forward HELPING staff in reaching their defined goals. To SIGN UP simple,
click here
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Initiatives_Global_Strategic_Focus its
amazing what you can do with PASSION and a few people in a video conference.

Finally I like to draw your eyeballs to the reports that are issued monthly
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/March_16,_2016#Reports_2  any questions can
be directed to the writers directly or public comment of members is
welcomed monthly at her scheduled and recorded public meetings.

If you still can't get your point accross contact your elected
representative on Team OWASP
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/About_OWASP#2016_Global_Board_Members or
throw your hat in the ring for the next election cycle that is coming up
shortly stay tuned for the announcement

"Trying to teach a fish to climb a tree just gets frustrating for"
 everyone on the mailing list

Tom Brennan <https://www.linkedin.com/in/tombrennan>
Global Board Member

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Daniel Harvey <daniel.harvey at owasp.org>
wrote:

> In this case we may not be able to reach the developers who just don't
> want to listen, but we should have a strategy to reach developers before
> they get to that point.  Such as get more involved in the places where
> developers learn to develop and ingrain secure programming in the basic
> tutorials on how to develop.
>
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 11:42 AM, Mark Miller <mark.miller at owasp.org>
> wrote:
>
>> > What about those that don't want to listen, could care less to listen
>>
>> Then this is not our market. Trying to teach a fish to climb a tree just
>> gets frustrating for both parties.

>>> in what was going on outside of their main area of expertise.
>>>
>>> Exactly, they were ready to listen ;-). They went there because they
>>> wanted to know more about security.
>>>
>>> What about those that don't want to listen, could care less to listen,
>>> which I think represents the big majority of developers?
>>>
>>> If everyone was ready to listen and know about security then the Top 10
>>> should have changed since the beginning of time...;-P and we were not
>>> struggling to promote the message
>>>
>>> Just that people understand when I trying to communicate here:
>>>
>>>    - I support going to Dev conferences but with a clear strategy in
>>>    mind which leads to:
>>>       - Who are you sending and can this 'representative' be able to
>>>       talk the same language as devs, engage them about security or act as an
>>>       ambassador?
>>>       - Are travel costs covered fully for those OWASP leaders willing
>>>       to assist to these dev conferences?
>>>
>>> I think the community wants clarity of the purpose of assisting to devs
>>> conferences and who will be entitled to assist. I think we need to look at
>>> experts like Bill and send him to Microsoft Conference to mingle there for
>>> example.
>>> These people are knowledgeable, understand perfectly the struggles from
>>> a developer point of view,  that can talk and understand the issues from *a
>>> developer point of view*.
>>>
>>> But if you send a *no developer* to preach security, or someone that
>>> has never programmed in that language or platform,  I think this is a very
>>> wrong approach. I have not met yet the developer that has not had a fight
>>> with a pen tester regarding bugs found...
>>>
>>> I think is a waist of money on activities without clear goals and
>>> measurement of that impact in mind .
>>>
>>> Why did only 25 persons voted in the survey when we claim we have more
>>> than 20K people on the mailing lists?
>>>
>>> I''ll stop spamming this list. I hope my message is clear.
>>>

>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Johanna

>>> --
>>> Johanna Curiel
>>> OWASP Volunteer
>>>

>> --
>> *Mark Miller, Senior Storyteller*
>> *Curator and Founder, Trusted Software Alliance*
>>
>> *Host and Executive Producer, OWASP 24/7 Podcast ChannelCommunity
>> Advocate, Sonatype*

> [...]

The information contained in this message and any attachments may be
privileged, confidential, proprietary or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,
copying or use of this message and any attachment is strictly prohibited.
immediately by replying to the message, permanently delete it from your
computer and destroy any printout.