[Owasp-leaders] 2016 Developer Survey Results

Bill Sempf bill at pointweb.net
Tue Mar 22 20:16:38 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 4:04 PM, johanna curiel curiel <
johanna.curiel at owasp.org> wrote:

> We do not reach this community just by assisting to these conferences.

I disagree comprehensively with this statement. Through participation in
developer conferences like CodeMash and Stirtrek, I have seen quantifiable
increase in the 'reach' of security.  All of the OWASP chapters in the area
have seen significant increases in growth, there have been far more
security -focused talks at user groups, and there has been a significant
increase in requests for security expertise from the area consulting
firms.  Just "being there" is a great place to start.

That said, if something significant is learned while we are just being
there, and it leads to a larger strategy, so be it.  Personally, I'm
pleased to see some action on a front of attack, rather than constant
discussion.  It's a low risk activity with a potentially high reward.