[Owasp-leaders] Password Reuse Attacks

Michael Coates michael.coates at owasp.org
Fri Jun 24 03:25:36 UTC 2016

Andrew,

So here's the tough thing, none of those defenses stop this variation of
password attacks.

V2.18 - Information enumeration isn't relevant. The attacker has a list of
10million emails & passwords from site A and they're going to try them all
against site B. They don't have to enumerate anything
V2.20 - Request throttling is only helpful if the attacker is either coming
from a single IP address (which is easy to avoid) or the attacker is trying
multiple passwords against a single account
V2.27 - The strength of the password is actually irrelevant. The issue is
the password is *reused* at Site A and Site B

Here's the breakdown of the attacker activity

IPAddress1 targeting Username:joe at email.com w/Password hello123
IPAddress2 targeting Username:sue at otheremail.com w/Password
$trong3rP at ssword789
IPAddress3 targeting Username:10million at automation.com w/Password foobar

As you see the IP addresses rotates with each attempt so v2.20 is bypassed
The username and password is coming from the data dump of site A breach
some v2.18 is bypassed
Lastly the passwords are already known from site A breach, so strength
doesn't matter either.

*What can we do?*
I only see 2 options:
1. Stop the ability for automated logins. The very rough approach is via
captcha all logins (you shouldn't do this though). The more elegant
approach is anti-automation from various startup vendors in this space.
2. Monitor all breaches - grab all breached credentials & flag any
accounts/passwords that are breached anywhere on the web. These accounts
then need to provide additional authentication data (think challenge
questions). The idea isn't to stop a targeted attack against 1 account, but
instead disrupt massive automation against millions of accounts by adding
another piece of information to the authentication puzzle.
3. Or, migrate all users to 2FA :) That's hard, but every user you get on
2fa helps.

Andrew - in terms of updating the guide I'd recommend a specific section
that calls out this type of attack (and it's massive prevalence). We need
to clarify for everyone how this differs from the traditional brute force
attack and what can be done.

--
Michael Coates | @_mwc <https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=_mwc>
OWASP Global Board