[Owasp-leaders] Password Reuse Attacks

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at owasp.org
Fri Jun 24 00:04:42 UTC 2016

In the ASVS, we have several related requirements but not quite - that asks
that systems don't become an oracle for testing credentials. I think we can
adjust one of them to cover this risk off whilst not trying to be World
Password Police.

V2.18 Verify that information enumeration is not possible via login,
password reset, or forgot account functionality.
V2.20 Verify that request throttling is in place to prevent automated
attacks against common authentication attacks such as brute force attacks
or denial of service attacks.
V2.27 Verify that measures are in place to block the use of commonly chosen
passwords and weak passphrases.

We are going to issue 3.0.1 at AppSec EU training next week. Which of these
items should we include more detail on preventing being an oracle? I feel
that raising this issue specifically in V2.20, such that:

"V2.20 Verify that request throttling is in place to prevent automated
attacks against common authentication attacks, such as password re-use
oracle attacks, password brute force attacks, or denial of service attacks.
This could be done by limiting the number of attempts by a single IP per
API per day to around 5 or so failed attempts, or a linear back off
algorithm."

Thoughts? Really need to do this in the next 72 hours, because the students
get it next Monday in Rome. Would love to have feedback from the community
before I make the change.

Andrew

>>> http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/06/password-re-user-get-to-get-busy/