[Owasp-leaders] Password Reuse Attacks

Milton Smith milton.smith at owasp.org
Thu Jun 23 17:38:28 UTC 2016

All,

+1 for Michael.  There is too much focus on the vulns and not enough
focus on avoiding writing crappy software.  We need a OWASP 10 list for
secure product (or similar).  Focus on the positive, building great
software.  Manico comes the closes with top 10 proactive controls.
However, even this focuses on -the code-.  We need code approaches but
we also need something outside of a pure code focus.  Maybe a top 10
secure product list like,

1, Appoint a CISO w/board level visibility
You wouldn't dare diagnose your own medical condition.  What makes you
think you can make good decisions in security?  Hire an appsec expert
with proven experience in the appsec space with hands on coding
experience - a must.  It's hard enough to change the minds of developers
as it is.  If you don't have the code chops you will never gain respect.
  Equally important you need exec that can frame technical security
problems in terms of business risk to boards, smart business leaders, or
the public/press, in a way they can understand and appreciate.  The bar
is high.

2, Don't starve security
The quickest way to kill any security program is starvation.  To be good
at anything takes investment in resources.  Security budget should be
15%+ of the overall IT budget when starting a program and taper off as
the program mature.  Compliance is a separate budget.  (or whatever
OWASP thinks the best trend is among successful companies)

3, Compliance is not security
The first words out of the Target CEO's mouth was that they passed their
audit.  Compliances is what you must do.  Security is the love you show
your customers over and above compliance requirements.  In fact, your
security leader should not have compliance responsibilities since this
is a conflict of interest.  The chief of compliance should report to the
board as well.  (well, we should soften the message slightly but you
understand my point.  ;o)

4, Security is a way of life not a band-aid
Poor security is more than a code problem - it's a software quality
problem.  You would be shocked if a doctor didn't wash his hands before
your surgery.  Security is the same.  Every person and process that
contributes to the code of your solution is a part of the problem and
also a part of the solution.  Security must be applied throughout the
entire software development lifecycle.

5, You trained to be an engineer, don't forsake your training
Software development is a like train careening out of control at many
companies.  Yes, work quickly, Agile, and be competitive in business but
not so quickly you forsake your training and common sense.  Put the
skills you were taught to use.  Many business are constantly commenting
on success of companies like Google.  If you want to enjoy the type of
success Google has at your company you must do the things Google does.
Start building better software, security will follow, and you will take
your company to amazing places.  Invest in yourself you would be amazed
what you can do!  (Imagine being an early Blizzard employee trying to
convince investors World of Warcraft is a good idea.  Someone was able
to do this and look at the level of success)

(you insert your ideas here 6-9)

10, Educate, educate, educate
Each role at an organization involved in project creation, development,
and delivery requires ongoing security training.  Training should be
role appropriate.  Managers need security training also.  Security is
always changing and requires constant education.  (I have taken some
managers with me to BH/DEFCON and their views on security are not the
same as well we started)

Anyway, I'm not strong on all these points but raising them as ideas for
your consideration.  I do think there are some concerns larger than
coding.  Elevating attention in these areas could be helpful to
industry.

Regards,
Milton