[Owasp-leaders] New OWASP Top 20 ?

Colin Watson colin.watson at owasp.org
Thu Jun 23 13:06:23 UTC 2016

Mario

Thank you very much for highlighting this.

OWASP does not endorse or recommend any products or services. The
name/title of "OWASP Top 20" is incorrect since the threats are neither
finite in number nor an ordered list.

   PDF:
   https://www.owasp.org/index.php/File:Automated-threat-handbook.pdf

   Print:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/owasp-foundation/automated-threat-handbook/paperback/product-22295560.html

The project name is simply "OWASP Automated Threats to Web Applications".
The twenty automated threats so far documented in the "Automated Threat
Handbook" could well grow in number, and the ordering is
application/business specific, primarily due to the type and value of data,
and therefore the relevant threat actors. The aim of the project was to
create a listing of vendor-neutral and technology agnostic terms that
describe real-world automated threats to web applications, at a level of
abstraction that application owners can relate to. These terms are threat
events to web applications undertaken using automated actions.

The actual vendor paper linked to is actually called "Mitigating OWASP
Automated Threats" which is not the headline in the email marketing
forwarded to this list.

Despite the mis-naming, I believe it is somewhat encouraging the automated
threat terms defined by our project are being used in industry. It is one
of the project's use cases (from the wiki):
Characterising vendor services

Better Best Ltd has developed an innovative technology to help gaming
companies defend against a range of automated threats that can otherwise
permit cheating and distortion of the game, leading to disruption for
normal players. The solution can be deployed on premises, but is also
available in the cloud as a service. But Better Best is finding difficulty
explaining its solution in the market place, especially since it does not
fit into any conventional product category. Better Best decide to use the
terminology and threat events listed in the *OWASP Automated Threat
Handbook* to define their product's capabilities. They hope this will
provide some clarity about their offering, and also demonstrate how their
product can be used to replace more than one other conventional security
device. Additionally, Better Best writes a white paper describing how their
product has been successfully used by one of their reference customers
Hollybush Challenge Games to protect against *OAT-006 Expediting*, *OAT-005
Scalping*, *OAT-016 Skewing* and *OAT-013 Sniping*.

We encourage other vendors to use the names and codes. But please don't
call it the "OWASP Top 20".

Regards

Colin Watson
OWASP Automated Threats to Web Applications project leader

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Automated_Threats_to_Web_Applications