[Owasp-leaders] Suggestion of better brand guidelines

Tiffany Long tiffany.long at owasp.org
Mon Jun 20 17:08:12 UTC 2016

Hello Larry!

I totally understand your concerns.  OWASP is an open source community
dedicated to the results of our projects and outreach.  Anything that takes
away from this would not be serving the community.  That is why I propose
that we update our guidelines and simply make sure that our codified
process for protecting our brand represents our needs and protects the hard
work of our volunteers.  With this in place the work of defending our brand
will be less time consuming as we will have legal protections and a process
that will reach for the law after several other steps have been taken.
Right now we don't actually have trademark protection and our marks can be
used unscrupulously until we do.

 Furthermore, as you have seen from the co-branding work done by Kelly
Santalucia having our brand out there and recognized helps evangelize our
message as well as bring new volunteers into our fold. Over all this
process will help lead to further engagement and mitigate the risk of our
volunteers work being used improperly or diluted by less quality products
branded improperly.

As to your enumerated questions:

1) No, absolutely not.  Branding helps us bring visibility to projects and
should a corporation use the marks inappropriately it helps us protect
them. The trademark does not interfere with licensing.  Think of it as
allowing us to protect our art and names. The actual product is not
affected except to allow us to ensure that the name is not used
incorrectly.

2) I do not yet know the budget that will be allotted, but the cost will
depend on what we choose to TM, and where we choose to do it.  For the
first steps we will only require the cost of fees to apply for a TM and
time from me, a paid employee.  We do not need a lawyer for the concrete
steps I suggested. Volunteer input in the process will also be necessary to
make sure we accurately reflect the needs of the community.  We will do our
best to strike a balance to make the effort as productive and efficient as
possible.

-Tiffany