[Owasp-leaders] next steps

Dirk Wetter dirk at owasp.org
Tue Jun 7 20:18:05 UTC 2016

Am 06/07/2016 um 11:22 AM schrieb Andrew van der Stock:

> Since Dirk's initial questions relating to potential abuse of our logos, Josh, Tom, and Michael
> have met with various open source foundations about their trademark / logo usage, and have
> reported back to the Board. We also have acquired some legal advice, and started down the
> process of filing for a TM for our MAIN logo. The supporter logo will be changed once we have
> taken on board legal advice relating to our better understanding of how best to protect OWASP
> as well to get our brand out there.

Hi Andrew,

I just had a look at a mail you sent me saying "We do need to access legal advice before we can
announce anything".
(05/19/2016 06:31 AM, Johanna has this mail, too)

why did the board then changed its mind??

Secondly Josh seem to have been told from the Apache Foundation "Shane took a quick look at our
brand usage
guidelines and said that *what we really need is a Trademark Policy* [..] *We need to start putting
the "TM" on our graphics, documents, logos, etc*"
(http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-board/2016-May/017209.html)

So, again why didn't you follow the advice you guys were citing above? It would be still time
to do so, the logo thing just need to be pulled for now.

Another point I was thinking on: IMO Apache and Mozilla are different as opposed to OWASP. Many
companies and individuals volunteer for OWASP do consulting on software / web application security.
I assume there's no similar setting for Mozilla and Apache. Thus it seems
to me the threat of abusing an OWASP logo for own marketing purpose is much higher.

Cheers, dirk

--
German OWASP Chapter Lead
Send me encrypted mails (Key ID 0xB818C039)