[Owasp-leaders] next steps

Dirk Wetter dirk at owasp.org
Mon Jun 6 16:07:03 UTC 2016

Hi all and especially global board members,

to move forward there are also other steps which need to be done (no sequence suggested):

A) Don't know whether anything has been discussed in May's board meeting. The agenda
   doesn't look like it has been the case.

   My request to the board: Pls discuss logo usage again at the next board meeting in June.
   Pls check before who in the global board has used or plans to use the supporter logo. This
   e.g. https://twitter.com/Proactive_RISK/status/732930631626264576 appears
   to me like a conflict of interest.

B) Before any trademark and good usage guide is established the best would be
   to pull the supporter logos. It seems to me we're doing the second step before
   we decided properly on the first. A year to close this gap sounds not at all good
   to me.

C) Let's discuss what the benefit for using an OWASP logo for
   externals is as opposed to the risk of commercialization of OWASP.

D) Consult a lawyer, file for a trademark NOW (wasn't there s.th. wrt to USPTO?).

E) Discuss my/other suggestions of branding guide overhauls

Again: This is a basic question of how much vendor involvement we want. Be assured
if there are gaps in the guidelines/no-existing trademarks, some vendors will always
try to use those gaps. Their agenda is making money and if we do not clearly define our
red line others will interpret it in a way they like.

I do not want a future where every vendor can use an OWASP supporter or OWASP whatever logo.

Thx, Dirk

--
German OWASP Chapter Lead
Send me encrypted mails (Key ID 0xB818C039)