[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Talk Back/Town Hall Re: Website Changes

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Fri Jul 22 15:22:28 UTC 2016

Most of conclusions focuses in usability & Design users (UX) and not at all
in processes or gaps.

FYI: I did send information to Sooren but did not include any in the report
 . There was an attempt to  one time interview they set at 3AM my timezone,
so I could not make it including other volunteer, we are EST nor it was any
flexibility or effort to try another one. Since my opinion
was definitely not valued by this organisation doing the assessment,
I think the first mistake in this assessment is that they did not take the
time to identify the key contributors which are involved in the
process.Clearly my opinion did not count at all nor from others interviews
that were not finished as mentioned in the report.

An example

That report does not handle any details on the processes and gaps such as:

   - Process of Submission for obtaining funding
   - Process of Submission for starting a new project,
   - Follow up requests and approval for funding activities with project
   funds (status or requests)
   - How to request and follow up on an issue submitted through the contact
   form and no answered received
   - Requests for new mailing list
   - IT support request for mailing list when forgotten or wiki acocunt
   - The process of editing content: the need for multiple reviews and
   release process to a final document or getting rid off materials and
   outdated content

The final conclusion are in my view , nothing new and lacks analysis on the
process of content development and requests from the community and how this
should integrate properly with the community, chapter & project leaders
needs

The report only concludes in 1/2 page(45) with a nice graphic: "*There is a
clear need to integrate all data source through one common platform for
better management, productivity and efficiency."*

Another conclusion with nothing new:

"*T**here is a clear need for project owners and the OWASP community to
define a better workflow and centralized documentation process that is
suitable for all and designate senior project*

*leaders to guide new users and reach to the community and developers for
volunteers and **project visibility.* In addition, standards for project
promotion should be in place and a review

board should be reestablished."

I think we already know this, so the need for assessment is *how* integrate
some of the processes and solve issues such as:

Projects requests, mailing list requests, wiki account requests & updating
wiki content (just the top of the iceberg here)

   - Submission of new projects through Salesforce: How does the actual
   process handles response time and denial or approval
   - process of reviewing submissions of new projects and how to integrate
   and automated process so submissions are not forgotten
   - Creation of new content in OWASP site: How to provide access and
   control acces so people don't publish unauthorised content which has
   happend in the past
   - Creation and editing of wiki content: How to properly create a process
   for review, labelling and tagging content: how to implement a proper
   process based on our needs, identify the needs
   - How to manage the content of project pages and how to automate or
   alert when these pages are outdated based on review needs
   - How to get rid-off properly of old content and what kind of process is
   needed(we do not have a proces just tagging content)

Keep in mind that the content on the wiki is *volunteer-driven*, therefore
a proper and transparent process should be designed first before even
before thinking about what technology can actually support properly the
content management. A lot of conclusions on the report goes into
what technology without analysing the process, gaps and needs.

On funding:

   - Submission for funding : the report does not handle how this process
   occurs, from submission to release of funding . This should be analysed as
   this is one of the biggest bottlenecks for many to obtain funds or even
   know hot to request funds properly
   - Integration with Salesforce: who manages and how are they managed
   and controlled ? how to create an efficient process so submissions are
   handled more efficiently
   - Proper management of requests from within Salesforce and management of
   cases:How to make this process more transparent for the community not just
   using a contact form which many do not understand is being used to handle
   all kind of requests and the need to analyse if the information or process
   aligns with our needs.

I feel many things are still unanswered and the report focuses only on UX.
I 'm quite disappointed of these results that concluded nothing new and
lets a lot answered regarding improving the process of editing content,
improving submissions of technical issues such as mailing list and
structuring content. We already know that the usability of the swaps site
needs to be improved but HOW is what we need to work on.

In the end we can sugarcoat the owasp site  but the cake(content) will be
the same if we don't get into how to fix the process which is where we
actually need assessment.

--
Johanna Curiel
OWASP Volunteer