[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Academy[Project Cancellation]

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Tue Jul 19 12:24:36 UTC 2016

Hi John

Could you let us now why the project was removed? I'm assuming is because
financially you could not support the project anymore.

One of the major issues, for all projects, is feasibility, especially when
the projects requires some form of investment . Many people come to OWASP
expecting financial support and up to certain level this is provided but
very limited. Or you have to look for sponsors yourself.

All projects were supposed to get USD500 but were you able to get this
financial aid for your project?
Was this financial aid not enough?

OWASP projects is an excellent platform to promote and connect with people,
but I have not see this as a major financial platform such as grants. OWAPS
does not have such platform to help projects at this level and the
educational initiative so far has focused on very limited activities such
as webinars using this new platform that was bought (Go Training) or
activities in Chicago and other chapters in US.

I took a personal initiative to connect Simon from ZAP with Linux
foundation, but hey, that was me , and so I can do with other Grant
initiatives but not all projects are ready for this and OWASP does not have
the administration necessary to manage funds from the EU for example.

So if we want to help projects at this level this is the place were it
needs to start: setting the right people to know how to manage grant funds
and carry on the administration and auditing for this.

 As long as that does not exist within OWASP , forget about getting certain
kind of funds such as Cyber research from EU.

Were you able to get access to GoTraining? It is possible to move the
materials there if the staff provides you access to it.Question is, if you
have time to do this but I think the GoTraining platform can support the
OWASP Academy by setting up the materials such as videos and classes over
there.

Cheers

--
Johanna Curiel