[Owasp-leaders] Vote by email: Establishing OWASP Regional Security Councils

Noreen Whysel noreen.whysel at owasp.org
Sat Jan 9 18:56:55 UTC 2016

Here is what I have learned from just over a year as community manager:

Many chapters especially in developing areas are starting literally from scratch. There may be rampant security issues and little understanding or process from within the application developer community. In those cases we have lone warriors attempting to create a space for cybersecurity education and combatting attacks on web applications.

Successful, new chapters reach out to universities to engage computer science students in these topics, incorporate OWASP training materials into the curriculum and develop a new generation of security aware professionals. Some go further to involve the local government, law enforcement, and NGOs in cybersecurity awareness programs. Eventually, awareness campaigns will increase chapter membership, allocations from the Foundation help to cover startup meeting costs, and eventually corporate sponsorship becomes a viable and important addition to chapter activities. Over time, larger membership means a larger pool from which to draw new leaders.

Mature chapters can draw on their experience to educate and mentor other, newer chapters and we have seen some country and regional leaders emerge to take on this role. I think formulating a regional committee as a mentoring role, not just as oversight, will result in stronger local chapters.

Noreen Whysel
Community Manager
OWASP Foundation