[Owasp-leaders] AppSec USA 2016 - CFP and CFT is now OPEN

Abraham Aranguren abraham.aranguren at owasp.org
Mon Feb 29 15:05:24 UTC 2016

I still think AppSec EU events are missing out because of not clearly
covering speaker expenses:

Conferences such as CONFidence or Brucon are great examples of awesome
events where speakers are treated much better, expenses are fully covered *AND
attendance is (much) cheaper*. If they can do it, why can't OWASP do it?

imho OWASP should be moving away from "expensive venues" and other costs
that are not really useful in terms of "quality content" and fully cover
speaker expenses. This would directly affect the volume of submissions and
hence the content quality of the conference.

Again, back to Brucon as an example:
They moved away from Brussels and into Ghent for cost reasons, that allowed
them to put together the great event that Brucon is, fully covering
speakers, etc. while attendance fees are more affordable. Everybody wins:
speakers, attendants, organisers.

As a potential speaker, I would need a much more clear "all speaker
expenses will be covered" for submitting to Appsec USA, which is not what
the Appsec USA page (i.e. https://2016.appsecusa.org/call-for-papers/) is
saying to speakers right now.

Finally, this year I the talk I am planning to submit is not related to
OWTF, so all replies so far tell me, as a "random potential speaker",
"don't submit to appsec USA".

Please let me be clear about this: If you insist on choosing "the most
expensive venue in the city" while not covering speaker expenses, that is
OK with me, your conference, your choice, I just won't submit :)

Abraham Aranguren

OWASP OWTF Project Leader

*http://owtf.org <http://owtf.org>*
https://twitter.com/owtfp