[Owasp-leaders] Proposal for changing OWASP Documentation

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Wed Feb 17 03:53:05 UTC 2016

Gary,

Good stuff. I think the best way to approach this is to get a team to
walk through our 8000+ page wiki and categorize pages that need
categorizing. That would "bucket" content as you suggested in prep for
any move into "folders" (and make the wiki a better place as it is). We
already have a wiki template system to help mark old or dead content (
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Template:TaggedDocument ) and wiki
markup makes content categorization easy by adding a wiki category to
any page.

I am personally a big fan of the wiki and wiki-markup. I would hate to
dump the many thousand people-years of work in there.

 > *Big downside*: there’s a large piece of work to start it off.  All
content would need to get organized, put into sensible structure,
converted to markdown, argued over, ‘experts’ defined and assigned,
etc.  I doubt this would be a volunteer effort, and may need contractor
involvement.  Could this be combined with the OWASP wiki redesign?

Yea, exactly. The process of trying to update the wiki (or at least
handle dated content that others are concerned about) is already in
place and some folks like myself and members the wiki editorial team
have slowly been going over wiki content and trying to make it more
honest on a page by page level. The problem is the sheer volume and the
lack of tools to aid in the process.

Another problem is how do we hire? We need content folks who understand
application security, these are not cheap hires. We've made the call for
volunteers to help with wiki cleanup, but only found a few volunteers to
help and only 2 are active.  Any honestly, we need rather thoughtful and
skilled volunteers who really get application security, and they are
hard to find in 2016.

I'm not sure what the best path is to handle the wiki mess before us, so
in the meantime I'm crunching through one page at a time, one request at
a time, and one cleanup at a time. If anyone wants to help accelerate
this with hands-on help and assistance, I'm all ears and am eager for
your help. In my experience a lot of folks have ideas and plans to make
the wiki better, but very few are willing to do the work. I mean that
respectfully, I understand how busy everyone is.

I think the best kind of leadership is getting your hands dirty and
leading by example. If you want to help dive in and start looking at the
scope of the wiki problem with me, sign up at
https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/owasp-wiki-editors and
introduce yourself and expand on your plan. I'd be glad to give you a
tour around the wiki and show you whats up. I do not blame you if you
bail. Several folks joined with enthusiastic desire to help, but then
bailed once they saw the scope of the problem. In the meantime, one page
at a time is all I got. :)

Aloha,
Jim