[Owasp-leaders] 3rd Party JavaScript Management Cheatsheet

Antonio Fontes - OWASP antonio.fontes at owasp.org
Tue Apr 19 08:31:47 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 4/19/2016 12:57 AM, Weiler, Jim wrote:

> If you assume a hacker breaches the 3rd party dev environment then the CSP checksum / subresource integrity  control is gone because the hacker could change the code and recompute the checksum, correct?

I'm not sure. From my understanding, script integrity checksums are to
be computed and verified under control of the invoking party:
- Org A computes checksums of org B's scripts (or verifies those
provided by the 3rd party)
- Org A puts checksums in org A's code
- If org B's scripts are compromised, org A's code will detect a breach
of integrity.

However, if org A allows the 3rd party to provide its own checksums at
runtime, then indeed, that would constitute a vulnerability in regards
of the threat you described.

cheers,
antonio