[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Supporter Open Badges

Kate Hartmann kate.hartmann at owasp.org
Thu Apr 14 11:56:53 UTC 2016

Tony, thanks for bringing this up.

Operationally, we had looked at Mozilla open badges roughly 2 years ago.
At that time, the end goal was to leverage this platform to start
gamification at OWASP.

We had a small team working on design, assignment, levels, etc.

We have draft badges for our leaders, speakers, members, sponsors, and
other volunteers in the Foundation.  We also have criteria for assigning
the badges

Where we fell down was setting up the automation and repository.  Maybe we
were overthinking the process, but trying to award the badges to over 5000
individuals and companies many with different criteria and trigger points,
without an automated process is just too much for the operations team
(staff) to manage manually.

There was also the question of where to put the badges.  We wanted to house
them on the user page on the wiki.  We had a volunteer working on the APIs
to connect the badge backpack to the wiki.  They couldn't get the two
points to communicate successfully.

There is a tab for badges in the community portal as well.  The biggest
problem with those badges is that while we can award them, they can not be
removed.  So, if we award a badge for a member, but then the membership
expires, we can't remove the badge.  The same would be true for leaders or
any other non-lifetime activities that we want to recognize.

The community portal, as a platform in general, needs to be developed.
There is quite a bit of potential, but it needs improvement before it is
ready for prime time.

I'd love to have some help if anyone in the community has an interest in
working on badges and gamification or on the community portal platform.

Kate Hartmann
Operations Director
+1 301-275-9403

--