[Owasp-leaders] TRAINING

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Sun Apr 10 16:30:13 UTC 2016

>>First, do we want to do a training platform as we do at the conferences?
This would be easier, as OWASP would be facilitator, less overhead.

Agree. It's about providing a platform to educate about security. We do not
need to provide certificates or scores, but I think some automated tests
for people to evaluate their knowledge is a nice to have.

>>Another though,  do we want to risk becoming a competitor with sponsoring
 organisations?
Definitely not and given the actual resources, we cannot even aspire to
compete, but we can provide some free training materials on subjects such
as how to secure applications in a given language for example. Think of a
format like 'coursera' without the certificate but with the ability to
provide tests and interactive materials. This is possible in the
GoToTraining platform.That is the cool aspect of this platform.

>> it is OWASP provided trainings‎, this is more complicated and I doubt is
OWASP is ready / mature enough doing so. More overhead and dedicated
resources needed.

This is a concerning point. So far I understood, the GoTraining platform
was acquired as a 'pilot' project to experiment with trainings. It has no
clear execution plan behind. To work without clear objectives to reach a
goal , the chances are high that it wont succeed. I think we are trying to
launch way too often initiatives without an execution plan, and this is , a
waste of time and resources if we keep on doing this.

@Eoin

>>I'm Certainly happy to train new trainers..I'm sure others are also..
This initiative shall require funding and coordination.

Agree. If I set a plan to:

   - Set a group of experienced trainers and group of rookie trainers
   willing to commit
   - Create a list of tasks on how can the experienced ones train rookies
   - Create a list of courses that rookies and experience trainers are
   willing to provide
   - Set a budget that will support these activities
   - Submit this for approval to the board

End results goals:

   - A series of training materials similar to coursera or khan academy,
   interactive and high quality into the GoTraining platform
   - A series of training materials that could be also be provided during
   appsec training but with our own team of trainers.
   - 100% owasp produced materials

If you (Eoin and others experienced trainers) are willing to stand behind
this plan, I"ll be very glad to help coordinate it and ask for a budget and
approval.

Cheers

Johanna

On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 10:53 AM, Martin Knobloch <martin.knobloch at owasp.org