[Owasp-leaders] Fwd: Urgent** Get Connected and Status Update : Chapter Leaders only

Andy Lewis alewis at owasp.org
Fri Apr 1 12:18:43 UTC 2016

Hi Akash and Valibhau - the "O" in OWASP stands for "Open," so I'd
personally be inclined to disregard the "strictly monitored" & "Leadership
will be transferred" phrases, or any such megalomaniacal statements.
Even so, there are guidelines for use of the name & logo (see link at the
bottom of this email). The Board would be able to articulate in detail
those guidelines and a history of actions taken, so hopefully someone from
the Board has PM'd you.  I've cc:'d Tom Brennan with whom I've had a
working OWASP relationship for >10 yrs; his counsel can be relied upon
without fail.

I agree that the tone is offensive and hope that you will see past this and
continue to pursue the OWASP mission in spite of occasional distractions
like this.

9 years ago I had a similar event - an individual returned from AppSec USA
and decided that both Colorado Chapters needed to be more active.  The
result of that conflict yielded an ongoing regional conference, because the
Denver Chapter leader and I decided that if someone was so intensely
motivated then we ought to put him to work.  So, we all met over coffee and
set a date and responsibilities for the 1st annual SnowFROC (
www.snowfroc.com), the largest appsec conference in our region.
In our case, the "despot's" motivation was sincere, and he was willing to
put action behind his words.
9 years later, he is a good friend and we invited him to speak at this
year's conference :-)

Best wishes to you and your Chapters for a similarly happy outcome!  If
there's anything I can do to help, please PM me.

Munir - I appreciate your even-handed tone and approach.  I wish I'd known
you 9 years ago :-)

All the best,
Andy

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Marketing/Resources#The_Brand_Usage_Rules