[Owasp-leaders] Projects Vs Chapters

Nikola Milosevic nikola.milosevic at owasp.org
Thu Sep 3 09:58:41 UTC 2015

Hello all, here are my two cents from the perspective of another person who
both started both - chapter and project.

>From the Chapter point of view it really depends where do you start your
chapter, or where do you live and how well connected are you. In 2012.,
when I started chapter in Serbia, it was quite tough for me. I wanted that
local community and even to develop some kind of consciousness about
security in my city, but it was hard to start. I knew about one company
that was doing some forensics and pen testing, employing 4 people in total
and that was it. Also, at that time I was finishing my University, so not
too many industrial contacts. And at that time Serbia was a place where
there was almost no security industry. So first couple of talks I needed to
be doing myself about basic OWASP topics with help of some friends who were
also interested and then somehow it built up. After couple of years from
attendance of 10 people and pretty basic talks we had something more
advanced and attendance of over 70. Also companies started being interested
and offering space (first couple of meetings I managed to do in some
classrooms at my ex Uni). When I came to Manchester, where we are both now
- Simon and me, it is much better. It is much easier, since there are a
 lot of companies, employing tens and hundreds of people, it is easy to
find speakers, however, the demography of audience is much different. In
Manchester, most of the people are pen testers, while in Serbia it was
students and developers with almost no security background. So there is
diversity in Chapters, however, I would agree that it is easier than
projects. Regarding OWASP, there is one thing OWASP can help with new
chapters - by providing some initial pack of merchandise (I had one
unpleasant event, when my request was declined, since chapter had no
money), and possibly with some slight mentor-ship, but chapter handbook is
a good start for that.

As of projects, in open source there are great initiatives such as Google
Summer of Code and OWASP Code Summer Sprint. There are probably couple
more, which can help funding project and get some code done. The thing I am
still struggling with is that I cannot dedicate full time to the project,
hardly even part time, and it is for me hard to build community around it.
I don't know whether it depends on the type of the project (like mobile
security and privacy app may be hard), maturity, or it is just due to the
fact that I release public announcement only at the points when we release
new version. However, in community building and recruiting volunteers I
would really appreciate some mentorship or help, since I feel a bit
unsuccessful in that part. Also, regarding funding and fundraising, there
are questions I would have. As I said I participated on some initiatives
which got some work done by students. But in case I want company funding
the question is should I approach company and tell them, I do have this
project, would you like to fund it, or should I wait until they reach out
me? If I reach out, isn't it a bit awkward and possibly rude? If I wait,
wouldn't I wait forever? Since I am a coder myself, to be honest I did not
spent too much time thinking about them, so there might be a problem and I
would need to change it. In order to solve these issues and questions, I
have, but probably other leaders as well, I would quite like to recommend
one thing, and thank Simon that he started the topic. It might be helpful
for younger projects to have some advice from the leaders who did
succeeded, and by this I mean primarily flagship leaders. And also, for new
projects to have assigned maybe one person as mentor. And the role of
mentor would be to give some advice, resources, literature, whatever on
building community around project, recruiting volunteers and fundraising.
This would mean probably like one hour one on one meeting over hangouts or
skype and chat about these topics.

So what the rest of people think?

Pozdrav/Best regards,

Nikola Milošević
OWASP Seraphimdroid project leader
nikola.milosevic at owasp.org
OWASP - Open Web Application Security Project
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Main_Page>
OWASP Seraphimdroid Project
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_SeraphimDroid_Project>