[Owasp-leaders] The Final Leaked TPP Text Is All That We Feared | Electronic Frontier Foundation

Milton Smith milton.smith at owasp.org
Tue Oct 13 19:22:38 UTC 2015

A related article on TPP for everyone I found this morning.

TPP requires countries to destroy security-testing tools (and your
laptop)
http://boingboing.net/2015/10/13/tpp-requires-countries-to-seiz.html
(article excerpt) "...order the destruction of devices and products
found to be involved in" breaking digital locks... used to identify
critical vulnerabilities in vehicles, surveillance devices, voting
machines, medical implants, and many other devices in our world.

Among other things, this TPP provision includes destruction of security
static/dynamic analysis tools.  It's difficult to know if these
provisions will be adopted as written but I'm concerned it's on the
table for discussion.  As written, TPP will hurt industry more than it
will help.  Security researchers are not the problem.  The problem is
vulnerable software.

Unfortunately, it will take politicians and rights holders years to
learn from there mistakes.  Positive influence early in the policy
making process will be beneficial for everyone including OWASP members.
I realize most OWASP members are not very interested in politics.  Still
unfavorable laws and regulations will make security even more difficult
than it is today.  Think of what it would mean if ZAP becomes illegal
software.

--Milton