[Owasp-leaders] OWASP charitable status (was: Re: OWASP Election)

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Sun Oct 11 07:12:28 UTC 2015

Robert "everyone is doing it" is a good reason to potentially research this more, but at the same time it's a bit creepy to hear that phrase uttered.

Another thing to consider is that trade associations cannot at all compete with it's members. Per my understanding we would have to at least drop conference training since it competes with its members.

While I think this is a horrifically bad idea, I am happy to facilitate looking more closely into this. If you would like we can call the IRS charity customer support or similar together and ask questions and report back to the community. And since I've been quite aggressive in this conversation I'd also be happy to hire a lawyer that specializes in this area (at my personal expense) so we can ask pointed questions.

Regards,
Jim

Profits
Unlike 501(c)(3) charities, which can operate ancillary activities such as festivals or bake sales for profit, a 501(c)(6) organization may not oversee any profit-generating enterprises. The organization is also prohibited from offering the same type of services or products sold by its membership. For example, an association of optometrists may only work to improve the industry as a whole. If the organization examines patients or sells eyeglasses, it may lose its 501(c)(6) tax exemption.

--
Jim Manico
Global Board Member