[Owasp-leaders] OWASP charitable status (was: Re: OWASP Election)

Kevin W. Wall kevin.w.wall at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 00:40:24 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Jim Manico <jim.manico at owasp.org> wrote
> Larry Conklin wrote:
>> Hey Jim can you please list what we would loose (we don't really gain
>> anything but we lose a lot.) if we moved to a 501(c)(6) organization?
>
> OWASP would lose 25% of of it's active membership, including myself, if it
> stopped being a charity. Also, anyone donating money to OWASP would lose the
> ability to deduct those funds. Trade associations are mostly vendor run and
> self funded. This is the exact opposite direction I think OWASP should be
> going in, IMO.

Apologies for joining this thread late; I'm way behind on personal emails.

If it's true that "anyone donating money to OWASP would lose the
ability to deduct those funds", then my speculation is that OWASP would
loose a significant portion of its corporate sponsored funding. At least
that seems the logical conclusion if Jim's statement is true.

It seems that this is one part of the decision that hasn't been
mentioned though.

-kevin
--
NSA: All your crypto bit are belong to us.