[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp-community] Project and Chapter Funding Proposal

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Thu Oct 8 14:24:26 UTC 2015

If you don't submit a budget, then the money COULD be reallocated to other
chapters, projects, or initiatives.  In all likelihood, what WOULD happen
is the staff would become more active in touching base with you and
encouraging you to spend the money as that is really the goal here.  Nobody
wants to take the money from you.  We just want it spending rather than
sitting in an account not furthering the OWASP mission.

If you submit a budget, but don't stick to it, NOTHING happens.  Hopefully
we learn and improve for the next budget cycle.

No, you don't have to spend it all in one year.  There is a "future
spending" clause in the proposal that allows you to designate expenses over
a year out.  That said, we shouldn't be saving money just because.  If we
are saving, its because we have some future initiative that we want to
accomplish.  There is no cap.  We trust you to have a plan.

Sure, you can reserve some money for unanticipated events.  I would call it
"Miscellaneous Expenses" in my budget, but its all the same.  No cap, but
it shouldn't be used as a coverall either.

As I said, the goal here is to get money moving at OWASP.  There are
obviously ways to game this system.  We are all hackers and can see that.
We are also all responsible adults with OWASPs mission in mind.  If we can
use the process to identify stale funds and get them moving to further our
mission, then OWASP wins.  All I would ask is that you use your best
judgement when performing the budget exercise and consider donating back
what you won't use.  The Austin Chapter sent $10k back to the Foundation in
2014 because it was outside its budget and they felt that others could use
it.  That is the kind of thinking that I would like to see from all of our
Leaders.

~josh