[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp-community] Project and Chapter Funding Proposal

psiinon psiinon at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 08:47:02 UTC 2015

I dont think its that clear cut.
In many cases the money has not been allocated by the Foundation - people
have decided to donate to a specific project or chapter, and I think we
should be very careful before arbitrarily moving money away from them.
In the case of projects, if we take money away that has been donated to
them then we run the risk of those projects leaving OWASP so that money
donated to them is protected, or putting off new projects from joining
OWASP because of the danger of having their funds removed.

Having said that, I'm generally in favour of this proposal - I think its a
very good idea for projects and chapters with significant funds to be
required to produce a budget.
However we should be looking to support and encourage projects and chapters
to use their funds effectively rather than threatening to take their funds
away.

I'm still not completely happy with the current proposal, in particular the
phrase in the revised section 9: "Money that is budgeted in this manner,
that wasn’t spent during the calendar year, would be returned back to the
OWASP Foundation general funds."
Does this section apply to general chapter/project funds or funds allocated
from Foundation general funds for a specific purpose? If its the latter
then thats fine :)
If its for general chapter/project funds then I think its should be
reconsidered. Situations change, and there may be very good reasons why
money allocated to a specific task wasnt spent in a specific calendar year.
It should be possible to carry these funds over to the next year if
appropriate.

Cheers,

Simon

--