[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp-community] Project and Chapter Funding Proposal

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Tue Oct 6 15:27:04 UTC 2015

*Azzedine*, I updated the language there to try to make the intent more
clear:

*Separate from the aforementioned budgeting process for chapter and project
accounts, any OWASP Leader can create a budget and provide it to the OWASP
Board prior to November 1 for inclusion in the Foundation budget planning
process.  The budget would be reviewed by the Executive Director and Board,
and, if approved, incorporated into the overall OWASP Foundation budget for
the following year.  This would effectively set aside the funds to use at
the appropriate period of time, in the future, with no further approvals
necessary.  Money that is budgeted in this manner, that wasn’t spent during
the calendar year, would be returned back to the OWASP Foundation general
funds.*

The idea is that this has nothing to do with the standard budgeting process
for a chapter or a project.  It is a separated channel through which an
OWASP Leader can request funds for initiatives that do not have funding.
I'll use the Project Summit as an example.  It's an excellent initiative
and one we should support.  It's also expensive and something that would be
far better if we could budget for it in advance.  This proposal would give
the Leader organizing the summit the ability to create a plan and request
funds in absence of any money in an account designated for the event.  If
approved, it authorizes them to spend the money just as if it were in a
chapter or project account.  The reason for the last sentence is that this
is not money "earned" as is the case for money in the chapter or project
accounts.  It is money that is "requested" from the Foundation resources.
If the money is not spent, then the Foundation needs to be able to
re-allocate it to other things.  The Leader can always re-request it, in
the future, when they are again ready to execute.

*Richard*, again, see my explanation above.  This has nothing to do with
chapter or project accounts or funds.  This is a separate process.  Your
objection seems to be based around not wanting to give up your chapter's
money, but there is nothing there that would actually take any of your
current funds away.  I'm not sure I understand.

~josh