[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Benchmark project - potential conflict of interest

Larry Conklin larry.conklin at owasp.org
Thu Oct 1 15:16:25 UTC 2015

OWASP Benchmark project is open source other vendors can simply investigate
the code and make their own statements about it. (OWASP Benchmark is
covered under the GNU General Public License v2.0
<http://choosealicense.com/licenses/gpl-2.0/>, which by license means the
source code is available)

We as an organization need to look inside the code base to ensure that it
is unbiased towards any vendor or product. If it is found to be biased then
the project needs to be fixed or closed down.  No one has suggested that
this is an issue. Would not a project review accomplish this instead on
emails and tweets?

I have read the article
https://www.veracode.com/blog/2015/09/no-one-technology-silver-bullet. It
never mentions Aspect Security or Dave Wichers who is project leader and
Aspect Security is the sponsor of the project.  Instead it mentions three
other security companies (Veracode, HP Fortify, and  Contrast Security).
Two of the companies have corporate membership in OWASP. Veracode to my
knowledge does not have a corporate membership with OWASP.

Who has a conflict of interest HP, Contrast and Aspect?  Veracode can’t
have a conflict of interest.