[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Benchmark project - potential conflict of interest

psiinon psiinon at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 08:31:36 UTC 2015

OK, based on the concerns raised so far I think the board should initiate a
review of the OWASP Benchmark project.
I'm not raising a formal complaint against it, I'm just requesting a review.
And I dont think it needs a 'standard' project review - Johanna has already
done a very good job of this.
Not sure what sort of review you'd call it, I'll leave the naming to others
:)

I'm concerned that we have an OWASP project lead by a company who has a
clear commercial stake in the results.
Bringing more companies on board will help, but I'm still not sure that
alone will make it independent enough.
Commercial companies can afford to dedicate staff to improving Benchmark so
that their products look better.
Open source projects just cant do that, so we are at a distinct
disadvantage.
Should we allow a commercially driven OWASP project who's aim could be seen
be to promote commercial software?
If so, what sort of checks and balances does it need?
Those are the sort of questions I'd like an independent review to look at.

I do think there are some immediate steps that could be taken:

   - I'd like to see the Benchmark project page clearly state thats its at
   a very early stage and that the results are _not_ yet suitable for use in
   commercial literature.
   - I'd also like the main companies developing Benchmark to be clearly
   stated on the main page. If and when other companies get involved then this
   would actually help the project's claim of vendor independence.
   - And I'd love to see a respected co-leader added to the project who is
   not associated with any commercial or open source security tools:)

And we should carry on discussing the project on this list - I think such
discussions are very healthy, and I'd love to see this project mature to a
state where it can be a trusted, independent and valued resource.

Cheers,

Simon