[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp-community] Project and Chapter Funding Proposal

Richard Greenberg richard.greenberg at owasp.org
Thu Oct 1 06:40:39 UTC 2015

Thanks for the proposal Josh and Jim. Sadly, I cannot support this. "Budgeted
money that wasn’t spent during the calendar year would be returned back to
the OWASP Foundation general funds." No, that will not work. Our chapter
meeting attendance shot up to 80-120 once we started providing a catered
dinner, paid for by vendor support and our yearly conference. We loose our
money to the Foundation, and we are moving month to month without any
backup funding. This is no way to run a chapter. We have reserves for the
months we cannot get a sponsor.

Please do not lecture me about attendees should want to attend even if we
don't provide food. That is a bad statement. We want attendees, and if have
to entice them, so be it. Getting the word out about secure development
trumps any philosophical differences anyone may have.

Basically, in an attempt to manage the finances, you risk alienating the
very essence of who OWASP is: the Chapters. Chapters need control of their
own budgets. We do all the heavy lifting to generate our own income. We
deserve to manage it.

You want to see a budget? That is reasonable. You threaten to take away our
money? Absolutely the wrong approach. Terrible proposal!!

Richard Greenberg, CISSP
President, OWASP Los Angeles, www.owaspla.org <http://www.appsecusa.org/>
ISSA Fellow
VP, ISSA Los Angeles, www.issa-la.org <http://www.appsecusa.org/>