[Owasp-leaders] Good bye OWASP leaders - time to leave the hornet

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Mon Nov 30 18:46:18 UTC 2015

I am sad to see you go, Johanna.  Your efforts with respect to OWASP
projects has been an inspiration to many, including myself.  Thank you for
all your hard work and dedication.

Before you go (assuming you haven't abandoned yet), I would like to make a
suggestion here.  You are currently leading the Project Task Force, which
is empowered to act under the OWASP Committees 2.0 framework (
https://owasp.org/index.php/Committees_2.0).  And as I look to the
Guidelines for OWASP Projects (
https://owasp.org/index.php/Guidelines_for_OWASP_Projects) I note that
these guidelines are maintained under the scope of that committee.

This page is maintained by the OWASP Project Task Force to help assist
> Project Leaders with information about successfully running an OWASP
> Project. It will be updated from time to time, and changes will be
> discussed and announced on the OWASP-Leaders list.

The Committees 2.0 framework had the goal of empowering our community to
effectively delegate power away from the Board and to themselves within a
pre-defined scope.  The only question in my mind, at this point, is whether
this committee still has the 5 people necessary in order to hold a vote.
If so, I would like to make a few recommendations to the committee:

   1.  Amend this guideline to include verbiage stating that a project
   leader must not have a bias that would prevent them from being objective
   with respect to their project.  If such a bias were to occur, the project
   leader would be removed and a new leader would need to be found in order
   for the project to continue as an OWASP project.
   2. Amend the guidelines around project levels (Incubator, Lab, Flagship)
   stating that a mandatory requirement for Lab and Flagship projects is that
   they have a diverse enough set of contributors to support objective efforts.
   3. Perform a blanket review of projects against these new criteria and
   adjust accordingly for all projects failing to meet these new requirements.

I believe that these actions are wholly within the stated scope of the
committee and is not in violation of our Bylaws Code of Ethics, Mission,
etc, and therefore, appropriate for the committee to make.  Committee
decisions are considered official once a record has been published to the
community.

The Board will still need to provide action on the abuse of the OWASP brand
as there is no committee in place currently to handle these concerns, but
the power to act on the project level is there should you choose to use
it.  Just a thought since the Board is trying to manage to policy and you
have the ability to change that.

~josh