[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp-board] Rethinking startegy regarding projects

Tim tim.morgan at owasp.org
Thu Nov 26 17:02:40 UTC 2015

I'm all for reform of some sort, but it should be done carefully and I
don't know of any obvious solution to the dilution problem.  Whatever
changes we make, let's make them conservative and targeted for now andb
see how it goes.

Also, I think it is important to distinguish between software projects
and non-software projects.  It seems our biggest issue right now is
with people trying to write code under the OWASP brand, but not
following through and making the software high quality.

Consider for a moment the skillsets of most OWASP volunteers.  We tend
to be security people.  It might make a lot of sense for us to write
code for "breakers" types of projects, since only security people see
the value in doing that and have the associated know-how.

However, for "defenders" types of coding projects, does it really make
sense to build yet more frameworks?  Sometimes this could work, but in
most cases, how can we possibly compete with existing frameworks that
have large numbers of volunteers and/or companies behind them?

Better stop now before I start rambling, but those are my thoughts at
the moment.

tim