[Owasp-leaders] Poor crypto code in OWASP phpsec hurts our reputation

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Wed Nov 25 19:12:37 UTC 2015

Abbas,

 > Are you basically implying that any insecure project should be
deleted? If that’s the case please provide me a list of OWASP projects
and I’d be happy to report vulnerabilities, then we can delete them
together.

Maybe not "fully delete" but at least mark it inactive. In a very clear
way. And please - if you know of or wish to look for ANY bugs in OWASP
projects then OWASP would be super interested to get that information
from you. It would only help the cause.

 > An insecure library needs to be labelled/patched, not removed.

I think that is a totally fair perspective and it was my initial
perspective as well. Even if no one wishes to patch it, as long as the
project (both on the OWASP wiki and in GitHub) is *clearly* marked as
inactive, then at least I would personally be satisfied.

In fact, I think GitHub is working on a feature to clearly mark projects
as inactive (no such feature exists now).

Claudia and Johanna - please consider "clearly mark inactive and/or
insecure" vs "full delete". Abbas' perspective seems fair to me.

- Jim

--
Jim Manico
Global Board Member