[Owasp-leaders] Poor crypto code in OWASP phpsec hurts our reputation

Abbas Naderi abiusx at owasp.org
Wed Nov 25 18:47:54 UTC 2015

I’m perfectly fine with criticising and QAing projects.

What I’m not fine with, is reading some blogs or posts somewhere, without verifying their validity, and then putting the blame on our contributors without proper investigation.

This is not how we defend and motivate our community.

Plus, the only solution for a “broken library” is either to fix it, or to announce it as broken. These gentlemen insisting on removing the library sounds like trolling to me. They even refuse to add a README file to the Github repo which clearly states that
this project is inactive and insecure. All they want is to delete the code entirely, which doesn’t make sense to me at all.

I’m unhappy with your post, because you say “they have valid points” without properly investgating. They think they didn’t make progress by trolling on Github, and now are using you to reflect this issue on the leaders list. You could’ve contacted me first and asked about this before going public with it. I’m very unhappy with the process you have taken for this, undermining a contributor completely.

Regards
-Abbas