[Owasp-leaders] Poor crypto code in OWASP phpsec hurts our reputation

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Wed Nov 25 18:44:15 UTC 2015

>>If you’d want to keep your “users” happy and your “contributors” unhappy,
you should think of a commercial organisation instead of an open one.

I think this is a very difficult balance to do. I understand from your pov
as contributor but fact is, OWASP has also a reputation of being 'secure'
so probably the expectations are higher because we preach security.

Look ,I volunteer too but my proposals get questioned and criticised  in a
way that it feels to me  like I've been questioned as an employee and not a
volunteer, but in a certain way, if you look deeply, people questioning my
proposals wants to achieve goals that are aligned with OWASP mission. And
that means I have to work harder to present my arguments. Not because the
effort is 'volunteered' means it does not hold certain responsabilities.

Let  me ask you: Has this project ever been tested to verify how well it
works or not? Most projects at OWASP does not have any form of QA. Security
libraries hold more responsibility in this case.

This is a security library and if it contains security issues then this is
a problem. This does not align with the mission, even if a lot of work was
put to create this project.

I don't think they are trolling you. They have valid points and their
complain is that it is not responsible to leave this library to be used if
it holds these issues or are not properly explained. And is not only the
crypto issue.

Regards

Johanna