[Owasp-leaders] Hiring a technical author

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Mon Nov 9 21:46:37 UTC 2015

Going back to Simon's original request, I think that he had the right
idea.  Projects that have funds should absolutely feel free to hire a
contract technical editor to help with these things.  For projects that
don't have funds, in January you'll have $500, and can certainly use that
for this purpose.  There are also still pools of money that could be used
for it.  As for hiring a FTE to do this, I'm not sure that's warranted.  As
the charity is moving over $1m/yr in revenue, we need to be conscious of
how much money is spent on overhead vs on the mission.  FTE's are typically
viewed as overhead to support, while a contractor would be directly
supporting an initiative.  A small difference, but a difference nonetheless
where reporting is concerned.  I would like to see us follow Paul's
guidance here in establishing the need and quality before considering
hiring somebody as a FTE.

~josh