[Owasp-leaders] Method for statically detecting Regex's subject to Regex DOS?

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at owasp.org
Mon Nov 9 17:25:04 UTC 2015

Michael,

Thanks for this info. I’ve added your article to the OWASP ReDoS page. I
think OWASP should campaign to get this feature added to Java (Jim ???
Milton ???).

In the mean time, for Java, if you have to do this by hand, here’s a stack
overflow article on how to do it:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/910740/cancelling-a-long-running-regex-ma
tch

-Dave

From:  Michael Fallas <michael.hidalgo at owasp.org>
Date:  Monday, November 9, 2015 at 11:13 AM
To:  Dave Wichers <dave.wichers at owasp.org>
Cc:  "owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org" <owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org>
Subject:  Re: [Owasp-leaders] Method for statically detecting Regex's
subject to Regex DOS?

Hi Dave,
Dinis and I wrote an article about this subject, we published it on DZONE
(https://dzone.com/articles/regular-expressions-denial).

Fortunately, Microsoft .NET 4.5 provides a countermeasure to "avoid" the
problem. They introduced a matchTimeout argument on top of the  IsMatch
method :

Regex.IsMatch(emailAddress, EmailRegexPattern,
                       RegexOptions.IgnoreCase,
                       TimeSpan.FromSeconds(5));

That prevents the DoS. I'm not sure if other programming languages (i.e
Java) that implement the naive backtracking algorithm, provides a similar
countermeasure, I think it's going to be for the second part of the article
:)

Microsoft has a Regex fuzzing tool
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20095, however when
I tested it a while back, it did not work for groups on top of the RegEx.

It will be great to have something like that, specifically since several
programming languages using the same backtracking algorithm.

Thnaks.

--
Michael Hidalgo.
OWASP Chapter Leader & Researcher