[Owasp-leaders] Help and Pray for Nepal

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Fri May 1 12:31:06 UTC 2015

While I certainly echo the sentiments of the group towards the tragedy in
Nepal, I have concerns about the precedent that this would set.  We all
have causes in addition to OWASP that we are passionate about.  For
example, my grandmother died of MS and I make a contribution to an
organization that supports research into that each year.  Can I now request
to have my OWASP membership funds donated to that non-profit?  Before we
know it, anyone can request funds donated to OWASP to go someplace else.
OWASP's mission is application security.  I think that Tobias hit the nail
on the head when he said that we should be looking for ways that our money
can help Nepal while at the same time fulfilling our mission.  Now, if Eoin
wants to organize some sort of effort collecting personal funds from our
impassioned leaders to donate to help Nepal, then I have no issues with
that.  I really hate to be a buzzkill here, but as Board members it is our
fiduciary responsibility to ensure that Foundation funds are being spent on
fulfilling our mission statement.

~josh