[Owasp-leaders] Profiling as software Open Source organization

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Wed Mar 4 11:46:39 UTC 2015

ZAP and Dependency Check has been disruptors in the market place, so we
cannot expect sponsors from Burp or the similar ;-)
projects have no direct source of funding, there is also no strategy
regarding how to improve this

The first thing we need to do I think is focus on creating a strategy to
support projects much better
The foundation does not have a support team for this part but again, if the
community feels that we want to improve our projects and their quality,
then we can make a plan, start small
Divide and conquer.

Let's say that we take ZAP and Dependency (as an example) and we create a
marketing strategy to:

   - Get more donations to these projects by:
   - Promoting the projects in different security Events
   - Hire developers/testers to improve the software and compete with the
   ones out there
   - The same strategies that many Open Source software uses, we should
   use, its free, but could also create a service around them such as:
   - Organise trainings using these tools and let participants pay for
      this. The money from these trainings will go directly to the
project bucket
      - Create learning materials such as books and sell them. again money
      from this will go to the project bucket
      - Coordinate with Chapters to provide professional trainings and
      events promoting projects

Then we can focus the Project budget we have for these clear goals that
will help us grow that budget instead of purely spending it

regards

Johanna