[Owasp-leaders] Request for OWASP board to approves 100K for a project Summit in 2016

Mike Goodwin mike.goodwin at owasp.org
Mon Jun 29 15:41:53 UTC 2015

Hello all,

I agree that we want to encourage activity and forward progress on
projects, but does that mean that a summit should only be for established
projects that have delivered already? I am just in the process of starting
a new OWASP project - I'm waiting anxiously for its approval by the Project
Task Force. I'm the sole contributor at the moment,  but I am active on it,
it has regular code checkins and there is a working prototype that is
moving forward with a clear goal (it is
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Threat_Dragon for anyone that want to
take a look).

I would benefit a lot from the experience of other project leaders both
directly in terms of their opinion on the project and indirectly in terms
of how to promote a project and build its visibility and eventually its
user base. I'd love it to be the next ZAP! The time I need that support
most is now, at the start of the project, rather than once its already
succeeded. Or maybe to put it another way, I need a different type of
support as the leader of an incubator compared to the leaders of flagship
projects.

I appreciate that this is a tricky issue. Many organisations and businesses
suffer from the inability to end projects that have no chance of furthering
their mission. Given that our projects are volunteer-led, this will be even
more difficult for us. However, the best companies are the ones that can
judge where to focus their efforts, keeping a balanced portfolio of
established products alongside early stage ones. This is an extension inn
some ways of the the "risk taking in NFPs" discussion that Diniz Cruz
raised.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I'm pretty sure that I could benefit
from the experience of meeting and talking with people who have already
turned incubator projects into flagships ones.

Thoughts and comments welcome!

Mike