[Owasp-leaders] Request for OWASP board to approves 100K for a project Summit in 2016

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Sun Jun 28 18:33:33 UTC 2015

100K can allow us to involve more projects but I believe in regulations.

After having review so many projects, there are many people that were
starting a project with no content and after a year or 2, an empty wiki
page has hanging with the title project, but there was no project content
to be found.

I don't think we want to sponsor this kind of behaviour.

We want to sponsor and support those projects that are working hard to get
things done. Recession period is not the point here. It's about starting a
project in a wiki page that never comes with a deliverable. But lets also
consider that if a project has been inactive for more than 3 years and
suddenly a project leader wants to 'revive the project', the summit should
not be used as a kind of paid vacation and 'by the way' participate in the
summit.

Thats why we need some kind of rules for participation and regulation to
avoid abuses.

I think we need to make clear that anyone that wants to make use of funds
for summits, have to produce a clear deliverable that contributes to their
project. That's why now, our rules for starting projects must have some
deliverables, but even so, there are still many projects that produce very
little and are called projects. Like once Josh said, we should not confuse
concepts or ideas and call them projects.

I also like the idea of small events based on different regions that are
more accessible for project leaders in different regions and time zones.