[Owasp-leaders] Request for OWASP board to approves 100K for a project Summit in 2016

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Sun Jun 28 17:35:43 UTC 2015

It's great to see a discussion already happening around this.  For context,
this was something that Dinis, Andrew, Mark, and I talked about on the
OWASP Podcast that we recorded last Friday.  It was an "initiative" that
Dinis suggested as a way to encourage Chapters and Projects to donate some
of their "ring-fenced" account money and further the OWASP mission.  With
Tom already offering a $10k donation from the OWASP NJ Chapter, it looks
like we could pretty easily raise the $100k that Dinis suggests and then
some.  I believe that the Board would be in full support of this
initiative.  What I would propose is that those interested should establish
a new "OWASP Project Summit Committee" under the new Committees 2.0 model (
http://owasp.blogspot.com/2014/07/owasp-committees-20.html).  The first
step in this process is for a community member to propose the new committee
here on the Leaders List stating their rationale and desired scope for
creating a new committee.  Basically, we need someone to step up to lead
the initial effort of scoping what this committee will be responsible for
doing.  Once we have that, the Board will determine if there is an existing
conflict (I doubt it) and then will initiate a public call for people
interested in membership.  By creating a committee for this initiative, we
are empowering those committee members to take action as defined in the
scope and spend money as allocated by the budget.  Is there someone who
would like to take lead on forming the committee?

~josh