[Owasp-leaders] PHD in Computer Security

Matthew Parsons mparsons at parsonsisconsulting.com
Thu Jun 25 18:41:44 UTC 2015

Ala'a,
This is the program that I am in Doctorate Computer Science Information
Assurance. It is not a PhD but an applied doctorate in computer science in
information assurance.  There are many other universities that offer
similar programs or Phds. My only advice to you is make sure that the
University is accredited.   I went to Colorado Technical University because
I got my Masters in Information Security there back in 2007.  The program
that I am ,in is three years long and is about 15K dollars a year.   You do
have to make five week long trips to the Denver area for residency.  The
rest is online and pretty much self study with mentors.  It is a lot and I
mean a lot of reading and writing.  It is a lot of work and you do not have
much free time if you do it full-time.  The only class that was really
challenging for me was 800 level Statistics which i just finished with an
A.  We were using a lot of data sets with IBM SPSS.  My dissertation is
Software Secure Design patterns I think it is going to be a research and
design study but it may use computer modeling and prediction.  I am still
working on getting my R up to the level it needs to be for a dissertation
and publishing.  Dr. Gary McGraw from Cigital helped me a lot with my
dissertation topic.  I hope that helps.  Good luck and once again feel free
to reach out to me if you want to set up a phone call to discuss.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Matt

http://www.coloradotech.edu/degrees/doctorates/computer-science/information-assurance