[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp-board] [Owasp-community] IAB Statement on the Trade in Security Technologies

Tobias tobias.gondrom at owasp.org
Mon Jun 22 20:48:53 UTC 2015

Thank you Jim for citing the text.
I think the key word is "substantial part". As explained yesterday, if
we make a statement about our mission and how it relates to some
government ideas, that is still far away from "substantial part". The
bar would be if we use more than 100-300kUSD for promoting that
message.... And I think we are far far away from that....

So I think we do not need to worry too much about the legal charity
limitations at this point.

So I think the question is:
Do we want for OWASP to express an opinion on important security
questions? Like e.g. we did in 2014 with the statement on Internet
Security or possibly statements similar to the one from the IAB on
export control of security.

 From the discussion so far, I get the impression that overall there
would be some support for OWASP to use its voice in the public to
further our core messages for our mission of improving web and
application security.

IMHO we should naturally only do this on topics were we have a large
majority and support in our community and avoid too contentious topics.
(in general I believe the topic of our statement from last year and
possibly the IAB statement would be relatively close to consensus in our
community...)

For the process: in general, I would advise for us to have a community
discussion first before we release any statements and only do make a
statement after we see a very very large community support for it.

Just my 2 cents.

Tobias