[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp-board] [Owasp-community] IAB Statement on the Trade in Security Technologies

Tobias tobias.gondrom at owasp.org
Mon Jun 22 08:47:25 UTC 2015

Guys,

just fyi: we had this discussion before. Last time in January 2014.
And I believe reading the material provided by Jim at the time, we can
in fact determine that OWASP can make statements that are in line with
our mission.

IMHO: It is good to be cautious in life, but to be so cautious as to
remain silent on topics that are relevant and will be a problem for the
security of the web and the Internet as a whole is IMHO a mistake.

For the full and detailed analysis from our discussion in Jan 2014,
please refer to here:
http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-board/2014-January/012872.html

In short:
/"//*"Your organization can engage in legislative advocacy and
issue-related advocacy, as long as it follows certain rules and steers
clear of political campaigning. "*//(for those interested in what these
certain rules are: that a non-profit does not have "substantial part" of
its overall activities relates to influencing legislation or carrying on
propaganda. Roughly anything under 5% of the overall budget is
considered not substantial, while expenditures of above 15% would
probably be considered substantial - e.g. 5% would be with our current
budget size spending of more than USD 100.000(!) on lobbying....)//
//
//We are free and safe to advocate our mission and to make public
statements to communicate our mission. (And nobody would want for OWASP
to politically campaign for the next candidate for presidency, governor,//
//mayor or political party of any country.)//"//

/
Furthermore: that's also the reason why the IAB/IETF has no problem at
all making this statement....
And the Internet Society which is basically the "communication" arm of
the IETF (and a 501(c) 3 tax-exempt charitable organization,
http://www.internetsociety.org/tax-exempt-charitable-organization) has
no problems engaging in political debate about an open and secure
Internet. And in fact is doing that very effectively. /
/
Best regards, Tobias