[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp-community] [Owasp-board] IAB Statement on the Trade in Security Technologies

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Sun Jun 21 23:35:52 UTC 2015

I will - for sure - put this on the June 24th Board meeting agenda. My opinion (based on research over the years trying to understand my duty to the foundation) is to keep AWAY from any even slight attempt to influence legislation.

In general I see projects, documentation efforts and  conferences doing much to unite us in our shared mission. But start discussing politics and it will go a long way to divide us as a community.

I suggest that we focus on •doing something• vs •saying something•.

Imagine funding open source projects similar to Whisper Systems or enhancing our documentation projects to be much more up to date and relevant our building professional open source training material? This is how I think the foundation can best face these issues while at the same time serve our mission while at the same time keep away from influencing legislation. :)

And for what it's worth, I strongly dislike the fact that I'm bringing these things up. I'm not trying to ruin anyones party here. But I do feel it's my duty as your elected board member to do so.

Aloha,
--
Jim Manico
Global Board Member