[Owasp-leaders] [Owasp-community] IAB Statement on the Trade in Security Technologies

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Sat Jun 20 06:38:30 UTC 2015

One of the very few ways we can lose our tax exempt 501(c)3 status - the status of a charity - is to engage in lobbying activities.

These activities are loosely defined, but we have a responsibility to avoid trying to influence legislation at OWASP •if• we wish to maintain our tax exempt status.

http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Lobbying

It is a core part of the boards fiduciary duty to protect the foundation from losing its tax exempt status.

However, we can as a foundation and as a community still participate in this issue by serving our shared mission with care. Let our sword be open source solutions that help achieve these important security goals. Let our shields be powerful free documentation that helps inform all about application security.

Aloha,
--
Jim Manico
@Manicode