[Owasp-leaders] Fwd: Pingdom Alert: Incident #3 for OWASP (www.owasp.org), has been assigned to you.

Matt Tesauro matt.tesauro at owasp.org
Sat Jan 24 15:27:18 UTC 2015

Regrettably, this is the second time its had issues between 5:30 AM and 6
AM where I live so I'm sleeping.

Last weekend, the architecture for the wiki was radically changed, the
MediaWiki source updated to the latest, and the underlying OS updated to
the latest.

* The serving of www.owasp.org was moved from a single large VM holding
Apache + MySQL on one host was moved into two VMs, one for the web head and
anther running MariaDB.  (MariaDB is what Wikipedia uses for their
install).  The VMs available during this migration were also substantially
better - most importantly full SSD based disks.

* MediaWiki was upgraded to the latest version of the 1.23.x version

* Ubuntu Server was updated to 14.04 LTS from 12.04 LTS to get the latest
OpenSSL options available.  The wiki now supports forward secrecy [1].

Yesterday's event was caused by MaxWorkers being reached by Apache, the
settings were increased to account for the growing traffic on the wiki.

I've not had a chance to fully investigate today's event, but I did notice
that the error log for Apache was huge (7.6 GB) due to wiki skins using a
deprecated method existing on the server (see
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Skin_autodiscovery) which I've fixed.

Additionally,  there was an old Twitter feed plugin written by a member of
the community years ago which was making deprecated PHP calls and also
causing Apache errors - including fopen'ing non-existent files and causing
unnecessary file reads with each request.  it has been removed.

I'm going to eat a quick breakfast and go watch my son play basketball.
I'll look for any other contributing factors later after we finish
celebrating my daughters 13th birthday, which is today.

[1] https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=owasp.org

Cheers!

--
-- Matt Tesauro