[Owasp-leaders] Shall we fix projects together?

Andy Lewis alewis at owasp.org
Fri Dec 18 13:23:59 UTC 2015

No amount of talk about process is going to incent a talented individual to
work hard (or form a hard-working team) to yield a project.  Reduce the red
tape.  Make it brain-dead simple, and make it worthwhile.

Specifically:

1. Establish a best project of the year contest.
2. Make the rules very simple.
 - Open license
 - written securely (or at least in conformance w/the OWASP Top 10)
 - $25k (US) to the winner, $10k to runner-up, $5k to 3rd-place
 - $1k/month to entrants, random, so that everyone who writes a single line
of code towards a project knows that they've got a shot at a payoff that
month (and the accompanying publicity)
3. Publicize like crazy - partner w/SANS, Gartner, and whoever else has an
enormous voice in the security marketplace

I am not a talented coder.  I have employed several talented coders (and
project managers).  People deliver innovation in return for 1)
compensation, 2) recognition/applause, or 3) unbridled curiosity in
conjunction w/the promise of 1) or 2).  When managing a Dev team, one of my
biggest responsibilities is to REDUCE red-tape and LET CODERS CODE.
I was also responsible for ensuring that *secure* coding practices were
recognized and rewarded.
My 2 cents.
Andy

PS looking for speakers for SnowFROC 2016, regional AppSec con in Denver,
CO on Thursday 18 Feb.  Please email me directly if interested.  No $$ but
plenty of recognition :-)