[Owasp-leaders] Shall we fix projects together?

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at owasp.org
Fri Dec 18 03:01:24 UTC 2015

Timo,

I think it's unfair and highly inaccurate to say the board is only
concerned about quantity. If you listen to our Board meetings this year,
particularly December's meeting, you'll note that we talked about the
review process several times. In all cases, we were explicitly concerned
about:

Is the process working? (not really, not enough folks volunteered, despite
the project volunteers and our Foundation staff working on new processes to
automate much of the project review process). This is the focus of Tom's
efforts to talk about various councils and so on, but we haven't voted on
them to be founded as yet. I will look forward to more people doing meta
work on projects, but this hasn't been the case for a long time.

Is the quality of some projects insufficient? We've had a lot of
discussions about one project in particular, but we've supported Johanna's
relegation of many previous flagship projects to incubator status
(devguide, etc), and inactive projects (e.g. ESAPI).

What do we do to encourage projects? There was serious discussion about
OWASP as a project house. We want projects to be under our umbrella, and
not splatted all over the Internet. If you do a search for OWASP, you'll
notice projects take up the first 80% of all results. We are rightly famous
for projects. What can we do better to support them? Although reviews are
important, we also need folks to work on them, and to feel like OWASP is a
great place to do projects.

We need folks who are interested in projects to take part, not only in
their project, but in the meta-project tasks, such as project initiation
approvals, and project reviews. We have a full time staff member who is
responsible for this, as well as passionate volunteers. If you want your
project to be up there as Flagship status, project leaders should help out
these folks from time to time.

It's not possible nor desirable for the Board to be involved in every
project decision. We help govern the process, not the doing of the process.
In general, at OWASP, meritocracy rules - do first, and ask later. If
anything, we should make it easier for projects to do their thing, not add
more red tape and endless discussion.

We need folks to be helpful in getting project governance sorted out, as
well as indicating which projects would like volunteers or need more help.
Most projects have less than 5 active participants, which can be a strain
on them getting stuff done. If there's a way we can help projects succeed,
please let us know. Come along to Tom's meeting on Projects and make
suggestions. We're all ears.

thanks
Andrew